FONAFIFO is a Costa Rican government institution that provides payments to landowners who enter into contracts with the government to preserve forested lands, practice sustainable forest management, etc., in exchange for environmental services. FONAFIFO sought the assistance of a GISCorps volunteer capable of creating training videos of ArcGIS Online (AGOL) in Spanish. Antonio Javier Soto Molina (Javier Soto) was selected for this project and recently completed recording of ten training videos. Dick Kotapish, another GISCorps volunteer who assisted FONAFIFO with a prior project, worked closely with Javier on this project.
Javier completed all the requirements listed in the job description on the videos. Moreover, the videos included other topics, techniques and tools in order to have a better understanding while leaning ArcGIS Online.
Two types of data were used on the videos for creating exercises:
- Data provided by GISCorps (FONAFIFO shapefiles, PSA manual modification pdf, etc.)
- Data sought by the volunteer for the development of the exercises (climate data, population data, Costa Rica political landscape, etc.)
All videos begin with an introduction where the content of the video is explained. This introduction has been prepared with a StoryMap application created specifically for this project. The StoryMap is available in this link: http://arcg.is/011eK5
Videos have been shared with GISCorps and FONAFIFO members via Google drive and YouTube. All videos can be visited anytime in the following YouTube channel:
Additional topics added to the training proposal are:
- Publish a map in FONAFIFO website
- Using ArcGIS for desktop for publishing service layers and tile services layers
- How to use ArcGIS Online Assistant to copy content from other users to my account
- How to use ArcGIS Collector
- Create domains in ArcMAP in order to create more interactive layers for Web App Builder.
Detailed Explanation of Videos
VIDEO 1: INTRODUCTION TO ARCGIS ONLINE (AGOL) 8 min
- What is AGOL
- Types of accounts (Public, developers and organizations)
- Differences between accounts
- Plans pricing and credits
- Free options
VIDEO 2: HOW TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT 16 min
- Sign up for an Organizational account
- Quick tour in window “Customize settings”
- Tour within the account. Meaning of different tabs (Home, Gallery, Groups, Map (load a living Atlas), Scene (load Miravalles Volcano), Content (create a new folder).
- Organization tab. Check credits/Pricing on AGOL website.
VIDEO 3: CUSTOMIZE ACCOUNT: 20 min
- Change organization name and add a logo.
- Add a description and change background in Home tab.
- Create a Group. Invite members to the group.
- Create a customized role for a GIS Technician within my organization.
- Add members to my organization. Assign a role to a new member.
- Differences between Administrator user and Staff users.
Picture above shows how to customize settings in AGOL
VIDEO 4: CREATE A MAP 42 min
- Setting features for Maps from Organization settings with Administrator user.
- Description of Map window. Touring different elements (content, add layers, basemaps, indications, bookmarks, measuring tools, search…)
- Create a Map for Costa Rica with Provinces and Cantons using staff account (GIS Technician user):
- Finding layers we need for the map
- Customize pop-ups
- Change symbols
- Save and share Map within my organization
- ArcGIS Online Assistant: How to use AGOL Assistant for copying feature layers or applications from other users in AGOL to my account.
VIDEO 5: CREATE AND SHARE A MAP WITH LIVE INFORMATION 41 min
- Introduction to Living Atlas
- Add layers with live information into a map from:
- Living Atlas
- Create your own living layers from CSV files with live webcams
- Search for layers within living Atlas
- Customize symbols
- Publish a map in a web. Display the map in FONAFIFO Website
VIDEO 6: PUBLISH A SERVICE 68 min
- Log in into your ArcGIS Online account from ArcMap
- Publish feature service layers and tile service layers using AGOL and ArcMAP
- Differences between publishing in ArcMAP and AGOL. Advantages and disadvantages
- Cost in credits
- Create empty features for editing in our webmaps.
VIDEO 7: REDAY-TO-USE SERVICES 65 min
- What are ready-to-use services
- How to use them from ArcMAP
- ESRI World Geocoder
- Cost in credits
VIDEO 8: ANALYSIS TOOLS IN ARCGIS ONLINE 55 min
- Differences with Ready-to-use services
- How to use them in AGOL. Answering some questions:
- Summarize data – Native surfaces zones within each province?
- Find locations – Estates within conservation areas?
- Data enrichment – How many men and women live within native zones?
- Analyse patterns – Interpolate points
- Use proximity – Which FONAFIFO office is better for each estate?
- Manage data – Find best route
- Cost in credits
VIDEO 9: PREPARE DATA FOR CREATING WEB APPLICATIONS 59 min
- Create domains in a geodatabase
- Publish data in AGOL from a geodatabase created in ArcMap.
- Add domains from geodatabase in our feature classes in order to improve editing session in our web maps and web applications (for example web app builder)
- ArcGIS Collector.
- What is ArcGIS Collector
- Create layers for Collector
- Create a map to use ArcGIS collector in a device while doing fieldwork
- Using Google Drive to create layers easy to update in our maps and applications
VIDEO 10: WEB APP BUILDER 59 min
- What is Web App Builder (WAB)?
- Workflow to create a web application
- Add data in WAB from map window
- Change themes and style
- Customize canvas
- Add tittle, links and logo
- How to preview our application in different devices
- Add widgets
- Summarize data
- Add layers
- Advanced options in widgets: Geoprocessing widget
- Preview and publish the application.